[tlhIngan Hol] Missing lu- from klingon monopoly sentence

Will Martin willmartin2 at mac.com
Mon Apr 1 12:43:46 PDT 2019

I doubt that there is any more common error in Klingon than omitting the {lu-} prefix, especially in front of a verb with a {-lu’} suffix. The rules of grammar dictate that if the direct object of a verb with {-lu’} is plural, you are supposed to use the {lu-} prefix, but that requires an extra level of thought, added to the relative rarity of {lu-} compared to all the other 3rd person null prefix cases.

It just doesn’t happen often enough to remember to think this through and get it right. So, yeah, he screwed up, but we understand why.

It’s a double-exception. It’s an exceptional 3rd person prefix, and it means “they [verb] it” except when you have {-lu’} when it means "one [verbs] them”. If you start with English and try to translate “One verbs them”, you have to remember two exceptional rules to get that right.

And, I’m pretty sure, Okrand still starts with English and translates. He likely still doesn’t think in Klingon.

charghwI’ vaghnerya’ngan

rInpa’ bomnIS be’’a’ pI’.