[tlhIngan Hol] nughIjchugh vay' matuHnIS'a'?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Apr 12 05:41:45 PDT 2019

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 at 14:06, Daniel Dadap <daniel at dadap.net> wrote:

> I expect this is probably going to be a “we don’t know (yet)” thing, but
> do we have any evidence to indicate whether or not the taboo against using
> {-vIp} with a prefix indicating a first person subject extends to using
> {ghIj} with a prefix indicating a first person object? Like, is it okay to
> be afraid of a concrete thing, but not okay of being afraid to do
> something? Or is the taboo against admitting to fear of any kind at all?
>
> {jagh vISuvvIp} - obviously taboo
> {mughIj jagh} - is this taboo? Or just a normal and expected reaction?
> {Dujeychugh jagh nIv yItuHQo'} and all, but {DughIjchugh jagh nIv,
> DatuHnIS'a'?}

not qoHpu''e' neH ghIjlu'.

The existence of this adage makes me fairly confident that there is no such
taboo. Indeed, while someone who uses {ghIj} with a first-person object too
often may be a coward, the saying suggests that anyone who never uses
{ghIj} with a first-person object is a fool.

--
De'vID