[tlhIngan Hol] “We share with each other” / machqu'bej qo'maj

Daniel Dadap daniel at dadap.net
Fri Jun 8 18:14:08 PDT 2018

> On Jun 8, 2018, at 20:09, SuStel <sustel at trimboli.name> wrote:
>
>> On 6/8/2018 8:43 PM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
>> What’s the correct way to say “we share a thing with each other”? The direct object of {bon} is supposed to be the thing being shared, so neither {Doch mabon'egh} nor {Doch mabonchuq} seem right (and changing the prefix to {wI-} just seems to make things worse). {maHvaD Doch wIbon} seems awkward, but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be that.
>>
>> The actual thing I want to express is “we share the world with each other”, and within this context, I think {HochvaD qo' wIbon} works fine and avoids the awkwardness I perceived with {maHvaD X wI-Y}. It just made me curious as to how this would be expressed more generally.
> The correct use of bon is:
>
> B-vaD C bon A
> A shares C with B.
>
> I see two possibilities. First, just follow the formula: maHvaD qo' wIbon. The two-way nature of the transaction doesn't come through with this, though.

Yeah, the formula is where I started, and I couldn’t put my finger on why I thought {maHvaD qo' wIbon} was awkward, but I think you’re right that it doesn’t communicate reciprocity, which is probably why I was grasping at straws with -chuq and -'egh. Do you see any problem with {HochvaD qo' wIbontaH} as I’ve used it in the reconstructed song? (Or with anything else in the song, for that matter?)

> Second, expand it to SoHvaD qo' vIbon 'ej jIHvaD Dabon. Repeat the qo' in the right place if you need poetic symmetry or meter.

Thanks; that’s a good suggestion if I want to communicate reciprocity in a construct like that in the future.