[tlhIngan Hol] “We share with each other” / machqu'bej qo'maj

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Fri Jun 8 18:09:03 PDT 2018

On 6/8/2018 8:43 PM, Daniel Dadap wrote:
> What’s the correct way to say “we share a thing with each other”? The direct object of {bon} is supposed to be the thing being shared, so neither {Doch mabon'egh} nor {Doch mabonchuq} seem right (and changing the prefix to {wI-} just seems to make things worse). {maHvaD Doch wIbon} seems awkward, but I don’t see any reason why it wouldn’t be that.
>
> The actual thing I want to express is “we share the world with each other”, and within this context, I think {HochvaD qo' wIbon} works fine and avoids the awkwardness I perceived with {maHvaD X wI-Y}. It just made me curious as to how this would be expressed more generally.

The correct use of *bon* is:

    *B-vaD C bon A*
    /A shares C with B./

I see two possibilities. First, just follow the formula: *maHvaD qo'
wIbon.* The two-way nature of the transaction doesn't come through with
this, though.

Second, expand it to *SoHvaD qo' vIbon 'ej jIHvaD Dabon.* Repeat the
*qo'* in the right place if you need poetic symmetry or meter.