[tlhIngan Hol] Two negations

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jan 1 13:05:51 PST 2018

I'm not sure. However, I do think it's worth noting that in Klingon, you usually don't negate whole words, but rather morphemes. A word may have both negated and non-negated components, so having a sort of "negative mood" that the rest of the sentence must conform to wouldn't make much sense.

Consider four soldiers trying to decide who should take the night watch and who should sleep:

1. DaHjaj ram jIQonglaH.
= "I'll be able to sleep tonight."

2. DaHjaj ram jIQonglaHbe'.
= "I won't be able to sleep tonight."

3. DaHjaj ram jIQongbe'laH.
= "I'll be able to not-sleep tonight."
(or perhaps "I can stay awake tonight.")

4. DaHjaj ram jIQongbe'laHbe'.
= "I won't be able to not-sleep tonight."
(or perhaps "I won't be able to stay awake tonight.")

Is #4 "more negative" than #2 and #3 because it has two negations, or do the negations cancel out and make it "less negative"?

Such considerations would make double negations in Klingon quite messy.

//loghaD