[tlhIngan Hol] Two negations

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Mon Jan 1 13:02:18 PST 2018

Am 01.01.2018 um 20:33 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:
> True. But the english "I didn't do nothing", isn't used in formal
> speech. As I understand it, it is slang/informal.

When I learned English in school, they explained that somehow "nothing"
can be split up into "not + anything". You can say "I see nothing" and
"I do not see anything". Basically, "I don't see nothing" is just wrong.
But it's true that some speakers are using this intentionally incorrect
for emphasis. From a linguistic point of view, it is a double negation
which leads to a positive result: