[tlhIngan Hol] The miserable have no other medicine, but only hope

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Jan 8 09:26:28 PST 2018

I know it's not the same as hope, but try the noun {chabal} "something desired" which is what *les miserables* desperate long for:

[Lieven < MO (qepHom 2015 p.12)]:  "wish list" is {chabal tetlh}.  {chabal} is something desired or requested. There also is a verb "to wish", as in "I wish I could" ... {jIn}:  {tlhIngan jIH 'e' vIjIn} "I wish I were a Klingon".

Not to quibble, but instead of {Do'Ha'wI'} "the unfortunate/unlucky one(s)" - is that why they're miserable? -- also consider {bechwI'} "the suffering one(s)".  {SIQwI'} "he/she/they who endure/bear [something]" might also work if it were not for the word's positive associations for Klingons:

   SIQwI' lu'oy'moHmeH juppu'Daj 'oy'naQmey lo' chaH.  SuvwI' qa' patlh
     veb chavlaHmeH tlhIngan lo'chu' chaH.  toDujDaj toblu'.
   The Painstik is employed by friends of the recipient who use the devices to
     inflict pain in a manner which will allow the Klingon to attain a higher
     state of spirituality as a warrior, proving his mettle.  (S32)

   'oy' DaSIQjaj
   May you endure the pain! PK

  yIn DayajmeH 'oy' yISIQ.
   To understand life, endure pain. TKW

--Voragh

From: Felix Malmenbeck

"Hope" is a weird word in English (and many other languages), because it refers both to an emotion and to the possibility that that hope will actually will come true: "A new hope" doesn't just mean "a new wish that something will happen", but some means by which it might.
That being said, I think "the act of hoping" or "the ability to hope" works quite well in this instance, if we're talking about the mental effect of having not given up.

As such, you could replace <tul> with something like:
    tullaHghach
    tulqangghach
    tulmeH meq
    tultaHghach

From: De'vID

 I'm trying to recover the original Klingon of this line from Measure for Measure.

   wa' Hergh neH lughaj Do'Ha'wI': tul.

Suggestions? (I'm uncomfortable with the fact that {tul} is a verb whereas {Hergh} is a noun.)
De'vID