[tlhIngan Hol] jIbogh vs jIboghpu' and a pizza

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 21 08:20:21 PST 2018

I found this in my notes from qep’a’ wa’maHDIch (2003):

(DloraH, 9/16/2003):  Once in a while here we would have discussions about when exactly the point of completion occurs in relation to a timestamp or {-taHvIS}.  [E.g.] {wejHu' vIHoHta'}.  Did I kill him BEFORE three days ago? (possibly)  Could I have done the killing ON that day (three days ago)?  Yes.  Some people (including myself), thought that the {-ta'} had to be true at any point in time of that day.  At one second after midnight, {-ta'} would mean that the killing took place before three days ago.  But without specifying that precise time, you have until 23:59 on that day for the event to become {-ta'}.

Some examples of {-pu’} used with a time stamp:

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

HovpoH Hut vagh cha' wa' vI' jav Dujvam 'aghlu'pu' 'ach Qaw'lu'pu'
[This ship was demonstrated on Stardate 9521.6 but it was destroyed. (untranslated)] S33

DaH nuq ta'pu' Day joH
What has Lady Di done now? RTb

DaHjaj romuluSngan vIHoHpu'
Today I killed a Romulan. (st.k 6/97)

… and one with {-ta’} :

wejHu' qoSlIj Dalopta', qar'a'?
(MO's FaceBook text to Andre, 2/11/2014)

--
Voragh