[tlhIngan Hol] jIbogh vs jIboghpu' and a pizza

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Dec 21 15:43:00 PST 2018

> Sadly, I am having trouble finding the exact canon for this at the moment.

You may be thinking about this:

https://www.kli.org/tlhIngan-Hol/2012/August/msg00114.html

Bit hard to read there, so I've pasted it below, as well.

Short version:  Given given the sentence

DaHjaj may'Duj mutlhta' tlhIngan QI'.*

#1. Does it require that the Klingon military began construction of a battleship and built it to completion all today?
#2. Does it mean that the construction was completed today but could have commenced at any time?
#3. Does it mean that the construction is complete today, but could have been completed before today?

Maltz' answers

Regarding aspect, Maltz was a little less helpful (or a little less clear). Of your three questions about what the sentence really means, he said no to #1 and yes to #2 (though he pointed out that if the construction of the ship did start and end the same day, that's included in #2). For #3, he said if the <DaHjaj> wasn't there, it would mean that as of the time of speaking the sentence, they would have finished the construction (with no indication as to how long before that they finished), and with the <DaHjaj>, it's #2. My guess is this will lead to more questions. Maltz is always up for controversy.

Regarding aspect, Maltz was a little less helpful (or a little less clear). Of your three questions about what the sentence really means, he said no to #1 and yes to #2 (though he pointed out that if the construction of the ship did start and end the same day, that's included in #2). For #3, he said if the <DaHjaj> wasn't there, it would mean that as of the time of speaking the sentence, they would have finished the construction (with no indication as to how long before that they finished), and with the <DaHjaj>, it's #2. My guess is this will lead to more questions. Maltz is always up for controversy.

*The original sentence used {lumutlhta'}, treating {QI'} as plural. I used Maltz' suggested edit here to avoid confusion.