[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

Jeremy Silver jp.silver at tiscali.co.uk
Sun Sep 10 15:57:44 PDT 2017

On Sunday, 10 September 2017 20:03:30 BST SuStel wrote:
> On 9/10/2017 8:39 AM, Jeremy Silver wrote:

> >> This doesn't work.*ghIq*  is an adverbial; it attaches to sentences, not
> >> nouns.
> >
> > Good point, but I'm not too sure it's the atoms that are doing the
> > silencing.
> /They/ are doing the silencing. The atoms are being silenced. What else
> does /atom by atom, they will silence us/ mean?
>
> > So how about this instead?:
> >
> > {nughoStaH chaH.
> > latlh HeySel qa'taHvIS wa' HeySel, nutammoH chaH.
>
> /While one atom replaces another atom, they silence us./
>
> I have no idea what this means. I also don't like how *latlh* precedes
> *wa';* you haven't introduced the *wa'* yet that can have a *latlh.*

Thanks for your further suggestions.

I think that neither of us really know what the original means as we're
lacking a fair bit of context. But I'm going with the interpretation that the
"they" which is approaching is the same "they" doing the silencing, and this
"they" is not atoms or cells. I'll take a wild stab that it's some species,
say Humans approaching, that will be causing some molecular/cellular
alteration to change the look of the Klingon species.

I could swap the clauses to {wa' HeySel qa'taHvIS latlh HeySel}, and with this
verb it could well work. But as I understand it, Klingon sentences are OVS,
and {wa' HeySel} is the subject, is it not?

> > latlh HanDI' qa'taHvIS wa' HanDI', qa'chaj moj qa'maj.
>
> /While one cell replaces another cell, our spirits become their spirits./
>
> If this is supposed to suggest an agency by which our spirits become
> their spirits, it fails to do so. It only suggests simultaneity. One
> thing happens at the same time as another; one thing does not happen by
> means of the other.

As I interpret the original phrase, I believe simultaneity is all I need to
suggest. We have nothing in the original, that I can tell, that suggests
agency specific to the atoms or cells. It seems to be just events/mutation/
disease happening, but I am frequently wrong.