[tlhIngan Hol] vengDaq, vengmeyDaq je

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Sep 10 12:03:30 PDT 2017

On 9/10/2017 8:39 AM, Jeremy Silver wrote:
> On Saturday, 9 September 2017 13:52:00 BST SuStel wrote:
>>> Indeed, for this excercise I think I settled on this version (which omits
>>> ngIq) for the whole promo text. Even after re-reading mayqel's thread and
>>> this one a few times, I'm/still/  not clear how to use ngIq for my own
>>> purposes yet.
>>>
>>> {nughoStaH chaH.
>>> wa' HeySel ghIq latlh HeySel, nutammoH chaH.
>>> wa' HanDI' ghIq latlh HanDI', qa'chaj moj qa'maj.
>>> tlhIngan maHtaHmeH maghobnIS. potlhchu' meqvam.}
>> This doesn't work.*ghIq*  is an adverbial; it attaches to sentences, not
>> nouns.
>>
> Good point, but I'm not too sure it's the atoms that are doing the silencing.

/They/ are doing the silencing. The atoms are being silenced. What else
does /atom by atom, they will silence us/ mean?

> So how about this instead?:
>
> {nughoStaH chaH.
> latlh HeySel qa'taHvIS wa' HeySel, nutammoH chaH.

/While one atom replaces another atom, they silence us./

I have no idea what this means. I also don't like how *latlh* precedes
*wa';* you haven't introduced the *wa'* yet that can have a *latlh.*

> latlh HanDI' qa'taHvIS wa' HanDI', qa'chaj moj qa'maj.

/While one cell replaces another cell, our spirits become their spirits./

If this is supposed to suggest an agency by which our spirits become
their spirits, it fails to do so. It only suggests simultaneity. One
thing happens at the same time as another; one thing does not happen by
means of the other.