[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puqloD

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 07:30:43 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 24, 2017 at 6:44 AM, André Müller <esperantist at gmail.com> wrote:

> I tried reading it without looking at the translation and I get: "For my
> son to act like a warrior, I taught him wrong; I realize that now." which
> is what I think the sentence indicated.

*-meH* seems to be used to mean both "in order to verb" and "for the
purposes of verbing". It might just be a context thing. The intended
meaning of *Heghlu'meH QaQ jajvam* is "This day is good, for the purposes
of someone dying", not "This day is good, and the reason it is good is so
that someone dies."

> Another example:
> {qanuQmeH jIjatlhbe'.}
>
> This is ambiguous, in my opinion, because the scope of the negation is not
> clear. There are two readings:
> a) I didn't say anything. I did that, because I want to annoy you. (i.e.
> you would have prefered I say something)
> b) I didn't say anything that could annoy you. (i.e. I didn't insult or
> bother you)

I would probably interpret this as a), since I don't think the negation on
the *jatlh* can include the *-meH* clause in its scope. If I wanted to say
b), I would just use a relative clause: *DunuQlaHbogh vay' vIjatlhbe'*