[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: puqloD

André Müller esperantist at gmail.com
Tue Oct 24 03:44:27 PDT 2017

I tried reading it without looking at the translation and I get: "For my
son to act like a warrior, I taught him wrong; I realize that now." which
is what I think the sentence indicated.

The missunderstanding arises from the ambiguity of scope of modifying
suffixes like -Ha', -be', -vIp, etc. Is it the "teaching him to become a
warrior" that failed (-Ha'), or is it the "miss-teaching" that was done in
order for his son to become a warrior? Context is king.

Another example:
{qanuQmeH jIjatlhbe'.}

This is ambiguous, in my opinion, because the scope of the negation is not
clear. There are two readings:
a) I didn't say anything. I did that, because I want to annoy you. (i.e.
you would have prefered I say something)
b) I didn't say anything that could annoy you. (i.e. I didn't insult or
bother you)

The English "I didn't say anything to annoy you." is similarly ambiguous.

- André