[tlhIngan Hol] SuStel please tell me, I need to know..

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Jul 31 07:36:20 PDT 2017

On 7/31/2017 10:20 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> SuStel:
>> jatlhqu'meH tlhIngan Hol naQ law' Quenya naQ puS
> jIH:
>> Or is it rather "in order that he/they speaks/speak a lot, klingon is more complete than quenya" ?
> SuStel
>> My intention was is the last one
> Perhaps the reason of my confusion, becomes clearer now. If instead of
> {jatlhqu'meH tlhIngan Hol naQ law' Quenya naQ puS}, we had
> {jatlhqu'lu'meH tlhIngan Hol naQ law' Quenya naQ puS} meaning "in
> order for someone to speak..", then I could have understood the
> meaning better. Reading the {jatlhqu'meH tlhIngan Hol naQ law' Quenya
> naQ puS} and understanding "in order that he/they speaks/speak a lot,
> klingon is more complete than quenya", I begun to wonder who the
> "he/they" was/were. Let alone that I did the mistake of thinking that
> the {tlhIngan Hol} was part of the {meH}ed construction, as opposed to
> the law'/puS construction.

I'm not sure that would have helped. You weren't interpreting *tlhIngan
Hol* as the subject of *jatlhqu'meH;* you were interpreting it as the
head noun of *jatlhqu'meH.* Adding a *-lu'* wouldn't have changed anything.

Klingon purpose clauses are often used in a sort of infinite way. You
don't say *ghojlu'meH taj;* you say *ghojmeH taj.* A subject is not
always necessary or even implied. Sometimes it is speculated that you
need a subject if the purpose clause attaches to a sentence instead of a
noun, but we don't really know, and no survey of canon has been done
recently on that.