[tlhIngan Hol] My list of 19 new words revisited

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jul 28 11:28:46 PDT 2017

Voragh:
> Hmm… I wonder if {puqpu’ qan} “old children” works for adolescents?
> Or maybe pre-teens? <g>

Lieven:
>> I think that {puq} is not related to age. Even with the age of sixty,
>> one is still the {puq} of one's parents.

Voragh:
> In theory, yes.  Okrand/Maltz though seems to use {puq} invariably for
> juveniles.  I couldn't find any examples referring unambiguously and non-
> pejoratively to an adult, let alone an elder.  Do you know of any?  (I
> haven't checked the paq'batlh.)

I just looked at the paq'batlh and found two examples:

SaqSubDaq pagh Qoylu'
  Qong SuvwI'pu' puqpu' rur
  Heghrup loSlI'

In the Saq'sub all is quiet,
  Its warriors asleep, like children
  Waiting for death to come.  (PB, Heghrup loSlI')

quv tIghmey Sov Hoch tlhInganpu' 		[sic!]
  'ej puqpu'chajvaD lutvam lujatlhqa'

Every Klingon knows the way of honor,
  And teaches their children by this tale. (PB, bertlham)

> The exception seems to be {puqloD} and {puqbe'} as used in names: e.g.
> {wo'rIv mogh puqloD} "Worf, son of Mogh" or {HuS 'atrom puqbe'} "Huss,
> daughter of A'trom".[]

Adult men (even Kahless) are called {puqloDwI'} several times in the paq'batlh, but never just {puqwI'}.  {puqbe'} only occurs once:

le'yo' lutmey jaja'pu'mo' qatlho'
  cha' puqloDpu'wI' puqbe'wI' je
  qa'ang vIneH

[translation not available) (PB, qamchIyDaq 'uQ'a')

--
Voragh