[tlhIngan Hol] -lI': intentional or not?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Feb 27 06:25:40 PST 2017

On 2/27/2017 9:18 AM, PICHLMANN Christoph wrote:
> If there is a*known*  ground below, the stone can only pumlI' .
> Of course if you don't know how deep it is, and can't see the ground, then pumtaH would be fine - from your point of view the stone might just as well fall forever.
> But if we can see the ground and you say "pumtaH" to me, I'd expect the stone to fall through the earth and continue to fall until something intentionally blocks its way.

TKD tells us that using *-lI'* instead of *-taH* is optional (whenever
the ideas behind *-lI'* apply). You can /always/ use *-taH* for any kind
of ongoing action. So if I can say *De' **vIlI'lI'*/I am transmitting
data,/ I can also say *De' vIlI'taH.*

So *pumtaH nagh* doesn't mean the stone won't stop when it hits the
ground; it just ignores whatever the stopping point may be.