[tlhIngan Hol] -lI': intentional or not?

PICHLMANN Christoph Christoph.PICHLMANN at agrana.com
Mon Feb 27 06:18:43 PST 2017

The following could best be described as my gut feeling on the issue, as I certainly didn't look up any rules beyond re-reading what Klingonska.org says about -lI' and -taH .
This is what my instinct tells me from my limited experience with klingon. Duj tIvoqtaH after all :-)

>The non-restrictive argument would say there is no difference: the
>agent's intentions are not described by *-lI',* the speaker is merely
>describing an action progressing toward a known stopping point. A rock
>pushed off a cliff by a gust of wind could be said to be *pumlI'*
>because it is making progress toward the known stopping point of the ground.

I'm with that side.
If there is a *known* ground below, the stone can only pumlI' .
Of course if you don't know how deep it is, and can't see the ground, then pumtaH would be fine - from your point of view the stone might just as well fall forever.
But if we can see the ground and you say "pumtaH" to me, I'd expect the stone to fall through the earth and continue to fall until something intentionally blocks its way.

Hm. Unless you're talking about the stone at this moment right now. Then -taH would be fitting, but you'd not be talking about the whole "stone drops down" but "stone is currently on the way down" situation.
Kind of like knowing the speed of the stone or it's exact location.

Christoph

Message: 7