[tlhIngan Hol] wa'logh as a timestamp

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 24 13:31:54 PDT 2017

On Thu, Aug 24, 2017 at 3:37 PM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> nIqolay Q:
> > You're conflating two meanings of the English word "once":
> > "happening one time" and "at some time in the past".
>
> maj. But if the event I'm talking about, happened "one time, at some time
> in the past", then why not use {wa'DIch} as a timestamp too ?
>
> {wa'logh, vIghro'lIj vIje'}
> Once, I fed your cat

Because {wa'logh} is not a timestamp, it's an adverbial describing
repetition. It has nothing to do with tense. In terms of tense, {wa'logh
vIghro'lIj vIje'} can mean "I feed your cat once" (present), "I fed your
cat once" (past), or "I will feed your cat once" (future).

If you want to include the notions of both "one repetition" and also "in
the past" you need to include some sort of time context along with
{wa'logh}, either by including some past-tense timestamp in the sentence or
by having an earlier sentence establish a past-tense context.