[tlhIngan Hol] The {-chuqmoH}

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Tue Aug 29 06:10:02 PDT 2017

On 8/29/2017 7:54 AM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:
> I was wondering whether there is any sense in using the {-chuqmoH},
> and if yes, then how is it to be used ?
>
> For example, lets say we place the {-chuqmoH} on a be-verb. If we
> write {pImchuqmoH} then does this mean "they made each other different" ?
>
> And could we write {romuluSngan DIpImchuqmoH} for "we made the
> romulans different to each other" ?
>
> On the other hand, if we placed the {-chuqmoH} on a verb which takes
> an object, then would the following be correct ?
>
> {romuluSngan DIleghchuqmoH} for "we made the romulans see each other" ?

*-chuq* doesn't allow the use of an object, since the plural subject is
also the verb's object.

*pImchuqmoH* is just fine for /they made each other different./ You can
get a clearer feeling for the effect of *-chuq* + *-moH* with a more
active verb: *HIvchuqmoH */they cause each other to attack./ But you
can't just stick the target of their attacks in the object position,
because this is a reflexive verb. You have to use another sentence. For
example: *HIvchuqmoH; verengan Duj 'oH DoS'e'*/they cause each other to
attack; the target is the Ferengi ship./