[tlhIngan Hol] Is Star Trek: Discovery a new canon category?

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Fri Aug 11 15:20:32 PDT 2017

On 11 August 2017 at 15:40, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> De'vID:
>> If I don't include the Klingon dialogue searchable by the
>> translated subtitles from DSC, I expect to get dozens of
>> emails asking me why those sentences are missing.
>
> You could just write at the play google store, that boQwI' includes only
> okrandian canon.

I have a Klingon Text-To-Speech engine on the Google Play Store, and
the description says very clearly what it is. I still get comments on
the review page and emails saying things like "I installed your app,
how come my Maps isn't giving me directions in Klingon?"

The point is, very few people read the app description beyond its
name. The typical user of the app has no idea who Marc Okrand is, but
they are aware that a real Klingon language exists which someone
actually invented for CBS/Paramount. (By the way, a surprising number
of people think that someone is James Doohan.) If I put something
about Okrandian Klingon in the app description, nobody outside of a
few people will even understand what this means.

> Let alone that an additional problem will possibly arise:
>
> If you do include DSC non-okrand sentences for beginners, then these are the
> same beginners who will be confused, if and when okrand disqualifies
> something written in those sentences.

I agree that this is a problem, but I expect it not to be a serious
one. If the producers really did put as much effort into the spoken
Klingon for the show as it appears, then almost all of the spoken
Klingon will be proper Okrandian Klingon. In that case, it will be
trivial for Okrand to okay them as correct Klingon. It's possible that
Qov or an actor/actress makes a mistake, or the producers edit things
around, but I'm hoping that's kept to a minimum. To my knowledge,
Okrand has never "disqualified" Klingon spoken in any show or movie.
At most, he's said that it's some dialect or ceremonial phrase. If the
Klingon on DSC is mostly correct and there are just minor errors,
Okrand can easily explain these without much effort.

--
De'vID