[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Oct 17 08:19:35 PDT 2016

>>> This makes me wonder: is there a specific term that we know of
>>> meaning "to thrust either end of the bat'leth *downward*"? That
>>> seems to be a fairly common move in the combat shown on screen in
>>> Star Trek, usually parried by holding the blade horizontal to catch
>>> the thrust. Or would you just say {jop} and it would be assumed that
>>> that was what you were describing?
>> I'd expect *Qach* to be used for that motion; it's the same motion
>> you'd use with an axe or club.

> In KGT, {Qach} is defined as "wield or swing (a weapon)", without any
> specification as to which direction the weapon is being swung in, so it
> seems a bit more general than what I had in mind.
> On the other hand, {Qach} is {chaQ} backwards, which would be a very MO
> thing to do if {Qach} is, in fact, the word for "thrust downwards with a
> bat'leth".

It's used WRT the bat'leth in the paq'batlh (paq'raD Canto 20: title):

  pe'vIl mupmeH betleH Qach
  "The Mighty Blow of the Bat'leth"

tlhIngan ghantoH pIn'a'
Ca'Non Master of the Klingons

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list