[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

kechpaja kechpaja at comcast.net
Mon Oct 17 07:59:31 PDT 2016

On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:46:44AM -0400, SuStel wrote:
> On 10/17/2016 10:27 AM, kechpaja wrote:
> > On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 01:55:22PM +0000, Steven Boozer wrote:
> >>> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 15, 2016
> >>>
> >>> Klingon word: chaQ
> >>> Part of speech: verb
> >>> Definition: thrust upward with end of *bat'leth*
> >> (KGT 59):  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}. To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approximate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to vertical is {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}. To slide the blade of one's bat'leth along the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}. To twirl or rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the other (the same word is used whether left to right or right to left) is {baQ}.
> >>
> > This makes me wonder: is there a specific term that we know of meaning
> > "to thrust either end of the bat'leth *downward*"? That seems to be a
> > fairly common move in the combat shown on screen in Star Trek, usually
> > parried by holding the blade horizontal to catch the thrust. Or would
> > you just say {jop} and it would be assumed that that was what you were
> > describing?
> I'd expect *Qach* to be used for that motion; it's the same motion you'd 
> use with**an axe or club.
In KGT, {Qach} is defined as "wield or swing (a weapon)", without any
specification as to which direction the weapon is being swung in, so it
seems a bit more general than what I had in mind.

On the other hand, {Qach} is {chaQ} backwards, which would be a very MO
thing to do if {Qach} is, in fact, the word for "thrust downwards with a

 - SapIr

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list