[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: chaQ

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Mon Oct 17 08:20:26 PDT 2016

On 10/17/2016 10:59 AM, kechpaja wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 10:46:44AM -0400, SuStel wrote:
>> On 10/17/2016 10:27 AM, kechpaja wrote:
>>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 01:55:22PM +0000, Steven Boozer wrote:
>>>>> Klingon Word of the Day for Saturday, October 15, 2016
>>>>> Klingon word: chaQ
>>>>> Part of speech: verb
>>>>> Definition: thrust upward with end of *bat'leth*
>>>> (KGT 59):  There is an extensive vocabulary for the moves associated with bat'leth use. To thrust or lunge toward one's opponent, for example, is {jop}. To deflect a thrust--that is, to parry--is {way'}. To thrust either end of the bat'leth (as opposed to the long part of the blade) upward is {chaQ}. To change the approximate orientation of the weapon from horizontal to vertical is {ngol}; the reverse is {lev}. To slide the blade of one's bat'leth along the blade of the opponent's weapon is {DIj}. To twirl or rotate the bat'leth is {jIrmoH} and to toss it from one hand to the other (the same word is used whether left to right or right to left) is {baQ}.
>>> This makes me wonder: is there a specific term that we know of meaning
>>> "to thrust either end of the bat'leth *downward*"? That seems to be a
>>> fairly common move in the combat shown on screen in Star Trek, usually
>>> parried by holding the blade horizontal to catch the thrust. Or would
>>> you just say {jop} and it would be assumed that that was what you were
>>> describing?
>> I'd expect *Qach* to be used for that motion; it's the same motion you'd
>> use with**an axe or club.
> In KGT, {Qach} is defined as "wield or swing (a weapon)", without any
> specification as to which direction the weapon is being swung in, so it
> seems a bit more general than what I had in mind.

In the word-list, yes, but it's also explained as the specific word you 
use for swinging an *'obmaQ* /ax (general word),/**a 
*jey'naS*/double-headed ax/, an *'alngegh*/axe with an added spike at 
the end,/ an *'aqleH*/ax with half a bat'leth at the end of a handle, a 
/*jeqqIj */club, bludgeon, /and a *ghanjaq*/mace./

You typically swing axes and clubs overhand, in an arc downward, just as 
SapIr was considering. Thus, I expect a bat'leth swing in the same 
manner to use the same verb, *Qach.* I don't know for sure that *Qach* 
means /swing a weapon in a downward arc as you would an ax or club,/ but 
that's my working theory.


-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.kli.org/pipermail/tlhingan-hol-kli.org/attachments/20161017/d7c6cb90/attachment-0004.htm>

More information about the tlhIngan-Hol mailing list