[tlhIngan Hol] -bogh question

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sun Oct 23 15:58:53 PDT 2016

On 10/23/2016 6:41 PM, Juliana Bukoski wrote:
> According to TKD, *qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh* means "I see the officer who
> hit him/her" and *yaS qIppu'bogh vIlegh* means "I see the officer whom
> he/she hit", so can you say something like *be'Hom* *qIppu'bogh yaS
> vIlegh*, and if so, does it mean "I see the girl the officer hit" or
> "I see the officer who hit the girl"?

Yes. :)

You can say that, and it means both of those things. Context will tell
the listener or reader which one you mean.

There is an optional way to disambiguate the two meanings, which is not
explained in /The Klingon Dictionary, /but which Marc Okrand has told us
elsewhere: you can add the noun suffix *-'e'* to the head noun of the
relative clause to show that it is the head noun.

*be'Hom'e' qIppu'bogh yaS vIlegh
*/I see the girl whom the officer hit/

*be'Hom qIppu'bogh yaS'e' vIlegh
*/I see the officer who hit the girl/