[tlhIngan-Hol] A question on {ngIq}

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Mon Jun 6 09:19:52 PDT 2016

It's worth noting that - if I recall correctly - the translation of {ngIq} as "singular one" is not by word of god (or Maltz), but rather an extrapolation by a Klingon-speaker based on his/her reading of the paq'batlh.
As I recall, this was one of the qep'a' attendees who helped proof-read the paq'batlh, and he/she was reporting from memory.

Personally, weighing the number of examples, I get the impression that "each" or "one by one" should be the primary translation; the idea of "singular one" only appears in one canto of paq'batlh, while it the idea of "each" or "one by one" appears in two separate cantos and also in Klingon Monopoly.

I think one possibility is that Marc interpreted "In one move he X:ed, in one move he Y:ed, in one move he Z:ed and in one move he W:ed" as referring to four separate moves, thus motivating the use of the newly coined word {ngIq}.

Another possibility is that the repetition of {ngIq} is to be regarded as poetic, and that the "in one single move" interpretation comes from repetition.

...or, most tantalizingly, it may be from some dual meaning that doesn't make any sense to us, but makes perfect sense to native Klingon-speakers.