[tlhIngan-Hol] A question on {ngIq}

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Mon Jun 6 09:04:10 PDT 2016

Thank you voragh for replying ; comments follow :

> ngIq nuv luHoH
> they killed the warriors one by one.

This sentence is a perfect example to describe my confusion on {ngIq}
; I can't understand why the translation is given as "they killed the
warriors one by one", and not as "they killed a single warrior".

> ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej tIqDu' lel
> ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej quvqa'
> ngIq tonSaw' lo' 'ej rIn may'
> In one single move, he removed the hearts,
> In one single move, he restored his honor,
> In one single move, the battle was done.

Here I understand the "one single move" translation, over the "one by
one", because the latter makes no sense.

> ngIq tonSaw' lo' SaD law' San chenmoH qeylIS wej
> boghbogh nuvpu' San chenmoH
> In one single move, Kahless decided the fate of
> thousands, and those to come.

Same here too.

> nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
> One by one Molor's scouts return

Why "one by one" and not "a single scout of Molor returned alone" ?

> ngIq raQ - 150 QaS
> outposts cost 150 [forces] each

Why {ngIq raQ}, and not {Hoch raQ} ? Why the {ngIq raQ} is given as
"each outpost" instead of "a single outpost" ?

> ngIq raQ - 200 QaS, mon - 200 QaS loS raQmey je
> Outposts cost 200 [forces] each; capitals, 200 [forces]
> each plus 4 outposts.

Same here too.

> ngIq raQvaD cha'maH vagh QaS yInob
> For each outpost pay 25 forces.

Same here too ; why "for each outpost", and not "for a single outpost" ?

> ngIq gholvaD vaghmaH QaS yInob
> Pay each player 50 forces.

Same comments too.

> ngIq gholvo' wa'maH QaS yItlhap
> Collect 10 forces from every player.

..and again the same.

Now, ok ; I can leave with the fact that in the given translations
"each" and "single", seemingly are used in a random and apparently
interchangeable way.

But I really do have a problem - a major problem - with the sentences :

> nIteb chegh molor ngIq ghoqwI'
> One by one Molor's scouts return.
> ngIq nuv luHoH
> they killed the warriors one by one.

Is there a rule here I'm missing ? Why, why, why "one by one" and not
"a single one" ?

And to repeat my original question :

If I wanted to write :

"We destroyed his birds of prey one by one", then what should I write ?

ngIq toQDujmeyDaj DIQaw'ta' ?
or
ngIq toQDujmeyDaj wIQaw'ta' ?

or maybe something else ?