[tlhIngan-Hol] A question on {ngIq}

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Tue Jun 7 05:52:42 PDT 2016

On Mon, Jun 6, 2016 at 12:19 PM, Felix Malmenbeck <felixm at kth.se> wrote:
> I think one possibility is that Marc interpreted "In one move he X:ed, in one move he Y:ed, in one move he Z:ed and in one move he W:ed" as referring to four separate moves, thus motivating the use of the newly coined word {ngIq}.

It was pretty much the other way around. The passage originally
referred several times to {wa' tonSaw' lo'...} which didn't make it
obvious that it was the same {wa'} each time. Marc substituted {ngIq}
to disambiguate the meaning and emphasize that it was a single action
described with many effects.

Context is important here, as always. The previous passage is all
about how he stabbed Molor in the chest and pulled out his heart(s)
using a special dual-pointed knife. If there had been additional
actions in play, a "one by one" meaning would be called for. But with
only the one {tonSaw'} to apply it to, the "singular" emphasis is
clear.

-- ghunchu'wI'