[tlhIngan Hol] to qaStaHvIS or not to qaStaHvIS

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Thu Dec 29 00:30:01 PST 2016

On Thu, Dec 29, 2016 at 3:15 AM, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:

> Unfortunately, at this thread, on this occasion, what has been said so
> far fails to explain why the {Soch DIS vorgh jIQuch} is ungrammatical.

To me it's ungrammatical because "previous four years" isn't a label for a
specific moment in time (a time stamp), unlike "Monday", "noon", "12 days
ago". Are you trying to say "seven years ago I was happy"? That would use a
time stamp - {Soch ben jIQuch}

Thank you for taking the time to explain all this, but since I can't
> understand what's going on here, I will continue using expressions
> like {Soch DIS vorgh} without the {qaStaHvIS}.

If you want to say something occurred while an amount of time occurred (a
time span), you need to use {qaStaHvIS} with the amount of time. Are you
trying to say "For the last seven years, I've been happy"? That would use a
time span - {qaStaHvIS Soch DIS vorgh, jIQuch} - "While seven years occur,
I am happy".

qurgh