[tlhIngan Hol] to qaStaHvIS or not to qaStaHvIS

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Thu Dec 29 07:51:00 PST 2016

On 29 December 2016 at 09:15, mayqel qunenoS <mihkoun at gmail.com> wrote:
> ghunchu'wI:
>> SuStel has already given exactly the reasonable arguments I would use. I don't know how to improve on them.
>
> maj. there you go ! I am an idiot, who is unable to understand the obvious.
>
> however, this is truly strange; through the 14 months I have been on
> this list, we have discussed countless things; and always we came to a
> conclusion.
>
> Unfortunately, at this thread, on this occasion, what has been said so
> far fails to explain why the {Soch DIS vorgh jIQuch} is ungrammatical.

The explanation seems fairly clear to me. What grammatical role does
{Soch DIS vorgh} play in that sentence? It's either missing a verb
({qaStaHvIS}) that relates it to the rest of the sentence, or it's
missing a noun which would turn it into a time stamp ({poH}).

> The only reasonable explanation is, if someone wrote "because maltz
> said so". Instead, there is no "maltz said so", but a countless list
> of arguments which leads to nowhere.

No, I don't think a ruling from Maltz is necessary here. Nothing in
the known grammar of Klingon allows you to stick a period of time like
{Soch DIS vorgh} in front of a sentence like you want.

--
De'vID