[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "god damn"

mayqel qunenoS mihkoun at gmail.com
Fri Dec 9 06:06:18 PST 2016

I'm afraid you misunderstood me..

I didn't mean to say "your mother cooked this damn good food"; I meant
"your mother cooked this god damn food".

qunnoH jan puqloD
ghoghwIj HablI'vo' vIngeHta'

On 9 Dec 2016 3:47 pm, "Felix Malmenbeck" <felixm at kth.se> wrote:

I'm rather sleep-deprived, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow
before participating in the large debate which I'm sure this will elicit,
but:

I wouldn't use {jay'} when making a compliment. {jay'} is invective, not
just emphatic. You're basically saying "Your mother bakes jinxed food, and
this fills me with contempt."

When we say something is damn good, we're using a vulgar expression, but
we're not using it invectively.

I doubt the average Klingon would find the damnation of gods particularly
important (they're all dead, anyway), so it probably wouldn't be a part of
idiomatic speech (although you never know).

However, if you wish to explain the Terran phrase, you might want to
construct a relative clause using joH'a'/Qun, and pum/qIch/QeHmoH.

//loghaD