[tlhIngan Hol] Expressing "god damn"

Felix Malmenbeck felixm at kth.se
Fri Dec 9 05:47:34 PST 2016

I'm rather sleep-deprived, so I'll have to wait until tomorrow before participating in the large debate which I'm sure this will elicit, but:

I wouldn't use {jay'} when making a compliment. {jay'} is invective, not just emphatic. You're basically saying "Your mother bakes jinxed food, and this fills me with contempt."

When we say something is damn good, we're using a vulgar expression, but we're not using it invectively.

I doubt the average Klingon would find the damnation of gods particularly important (they're all dead, anyway), so it probably wouldn't be a part of idiomatic speech (although you never know).

However, if you wish to explain the Terran phrase, you might want to construct a relative clause using joH'a'/Qun, and pum/qIch/QeHmoH.

//loghaD