[tlhIngan Hol] Is the {je} necessary ?

Lieven levinius at gmx.de
Sat Dec 3 11:04:32 PST 2016

Am 03.12.2016 um 19:37 schrieb mayqel qunenoS:

> suppose I want to say: "this world, this life, I hate them".

In english this may work, because the proniun shows that you hat both.
In Klingon, since the pronoun does not indicate the object (in this
case) it would not work, so I would immedialtly understand this as a
possessive noun-noun construction.

And I would say that it's even the case when the prefix would clearly
show the plural.

> {qo'vam yInvam je vImuS}
> {qo'vam yInvam vImuS}

> I understand that perhaps at the second sentence one could get the
> meaning that "I hate this life", and being left to wonder what's the
> story with the {qo'vam}.

I understand "I hate this life which happens on this world", so "this
world-life"

> so, all I want to know is "is the {je} necessary" ? is there some
> grammar reason because of which it is necessary ?

Yes: clearly spoken, if you want to say I hate "A+B" you have to say
"A+B" and not just "A B".

....Now, going more peotic:

I can imagine one can do this with some useful, dramatic pauses, but
still add the right pronoun maybe:
{qo'vam.... yInvam... bIH vImuS}

--
Lieven L. Litaer