[tlhIngan Hol] Is the {je} necessary ?

SuStel sustel at trimboli.name
Sat Dec 3 10:58:13 PST 2016

On 12/3/2016 1:37 PM, mayqel qunenoS wrote:

> suppose I want to say: "this world, this life, I hate them". there are
> two ways to proceed:
>
> {qo'vam yInvam je vImuS}
> {qo'vam yInvam vImuS}
>
> I am wondering whether the {je} is necessary, thus making the second
> sentence wrong.
>
> I understand that perhaps at the second sentence one could get the
> meaning that "I hate this life", and being left to wonder what's the
> story with the {qo'vam}. but I think that context would clarify that.
>
> or perhaps without the {je}, someone could read "I hate this life of
> this world". but again, would this possible ambiguity be the problem,
> or is there some grammar reason because of which I should use the {je} ?
>
> perhaps I want this ambiguity, perhaps I find the feeling of this
> sentence to be better without the {je}..
>
> so, all I want to know is "is the {je} necessary" ? is there some
> grammar reason because of which it is necessary ?

Your English original isn't "I hate this world, this life"; instead, the
object of "I hate" is "them," referring to the topics you named before.

To get the same effect in Klingon, use *-'e'*:

*qo'vam'e' yInvam'e' je vImuS*

Here I've made the two topics the object of the verb (but see below), in
which case I definitely need to use a conjunction.

There's another way to say this:

*qo'vam'e' yInvam'e' [je?] bIH vImuS*

In this case, the topic words are living in the same space that
locations and indirect objects live, and aren't the object of the verb
(which is *bIH*). It's unclear whether words of the same syntactic type
(in this case, topics) need to be conjoined.

But watch this: since I can elide the *bIH,* the sentence can look like
this:

*qo'vam'e' yInvam'e' [je?] vImuS*

Now we see it's actually impossible to tell whether the topic words are
objects of the verb or non-objects living in the "header" space. /If/
the *je* is not required on like "header" words then lacking the *je*
would force the "header" interpretation.

So the answer to your question, "is the *je* necessary?" is maybe.

*qo' yIn je DamuSchugh bIghIQnISba'.*