[tlhIngan Hol] [Tlhingan-hol] Liquid Nitrogen

qurgh lungqIj qurgh at wizage.net
Fri Aug 5 07:56:57 PDT 2016

On Fri, Aug 5, 2016 at 9:52 AM, Rhona Fenwick <qeslagh at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Perhaps I'm being influenced by English, where "water ice" is used to
> speak of frozen water as opposed to frozen methane, carbon dioxide, or so
> forth, particularly in reports of planetary exploration and such. But {bIQ
> chuch} feels natural to me for this meaning in Klingon too, and certainly
> {chuch bIQ} feels entirely wrong.

Saying {bIQ chuch} for "water ice" seems very redundant to me (the English
does too) as "ice" is the name for the solid form of "water". I don't think
this slang should be carried over into Klingon.

To talk about the solid state of other types of matter we should use {lep}.
We have words for all the states now:

Plasma - lI'choD
Gas - SIp
Liquid - betgham
Solid - lep

bIQ yugh lep. chuch 'oH pongDaj'e'.

bIQSIp yugh lI'choD. nuq 'oH pongDaj'e'?

ghav yInSIp je yugh lep. nuq 'oH pongDaj'e'?

Do we have any canon on how {SIp} is used with other nouns?

qurgh