[tlhIngan Hol] Fiat Lingua article: 'Intlis

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Mon May 27 07:07:33 PDT 2024

I wouldn’t be TOO surprised. A first-contact Frenchman transliterated “Tsa-lah-gee” as “Cherokee”. Likely, a different Frenchman would have translated it differently.

Likely, we are more experienced with the language than whoever came up with this (even with Okrand’s help), so we tend to be more consistent in transliteration when it’s called for. Okrand has lots of experience with Star Trek writers creating Klingon words that are unpronounceable in Klingon, needing to reverse-transliterate this junk into pronounceable Klingon. I’m sure that if someone gave him something wildly interpretable as a transliteration, he’d accept it rather than go through the entire vocabulary and do the work for them.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)