[tlhIngan Hol] SIp yuQ'a' chu' tu'lu'pu'

Ed Bailey bellerophon.modeler at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 18:52:09 PDT 2024

It's two very different situations, based on travel. Planets of other stars
are impossible for us to visit, and difficult to observe, hence
"exoplanet." Klingons can visit them, and may have better means of
observation.

They would also look for planets beyond the limits of their travels, up to
the very limits of their technology, if they cared to. Their "exoplanets"
would be yuQmeyHey, until confirmed as yuQmeyna'. Maybe a supposed
planetary observation would be challenged as a yuQqoq.

https://www.sciencealert.com/jwst-discovers-a-super-jupiter-its-first-directly-imaged-exoplanet

>> Any ideas on “exoplanet”?  *{yuQ Hop} - patterned on {logh Hop} “deep
space” – or do we use a circumlocution, e.g. {Sol Hovtay’ HurDaq yuQ}
“planet outside the Solar System”?

>> I doubt "exoplanet" is a thing in Klingon. They're just "planets."
>
> If we were situated on {Qo'noS}, I'd understand {yuQmey Sum} as planets
within the same system, and {yuQmey Hop} as "exoplanets". But if we were in
space, then I wouldn't understand those terms with those meanings as the
deictic centre would have changed.