[tlhIngan Hol] using {Dam}

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Jan 20 13:35:26 PST 2024

On Sat, Jan 20, 2024 at 10:07 PM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Hello!
> I'm not sure about using the verb {Dam}. From the few examples we have,
> I am not sure which is the object of the verb. Is it the thing I assume
> your are? Or does it focus on you?
>
> How would I say "I think you are a warrior"?

I don't think that's the question you intend to ask. "I think you are a
warrior" is rather different from "I treat you as a warrior". The former
has nothing to do with {Dam}, whereas the latter does. Also, did you mean
{SuvwI'} rather than {'urwI'}? It's dangerous to say the latter when you
mean the former.

{SoHvaD 'urwI' vIDam} or {SoHvaD 'urwI' qaDam} ?

{SoHvaD SuvwI' vIDam} is correct. We have the canon example of {HumanvaD
'urwI' wIDam}.

{SuvwI' qaDam} should also work, using the prefix trick applied to the
above.

Another possibility is {SuvwI' SoH 'e' vIDam}, based on the canon example
{'urwI' ghaH 'e' vIDam}.

> Wjhat is the object of the verb {Dam}?

The thing that the subject is treating as being applicable or as though it
were true.

{SoHvaD SuvwI' vIDam} "I consider (treat somebody like) a warrior; you the
the beneficiary of my doing so" > "I treat you as a warrior"

{SuvwI' SoH 'e' vIDam} "I view the statement to be applicable or true, that
you are a warrior" > "I consider you to be a warrior"

--
De'vID