[tlhIngan Hol] ghoj

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Wed Sep 27 22:38:19 PDT 2023

Am 27.09.2023 um 19:54 schrieb SuStel via tlhIngan-Hol:
> I think "distinct word" is the wrong thing to be looking for. "Unit of
> meaning," maybe "lexeme," is more useful in Klingon.

When I worked on the Number of words page in the wiki, I used the term
"root word". I'm not sure if that's a grammatical term, but within
Klingon, it's quite clear: {ghoj} is the root word for {ghojmoH} and
{ghojwI'}

Some years ago, I counted those "root words", i.e. skipping all
comibinations. This lead me to a point of about 1.800 true roots, but
that number is quite old. Today, I'd guess there are about 3,000 "real"
Klingon (root-)words.

(Additionally, all those country names and food transcriptions are not
really Klingon words, but that's a different topic)
--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"