[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: lIyetu'va'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Oct 27 07:15:00 PDT 2023

Klingon word: lIyetu'va'
Part of speech: noun
Definition: Lithuania
Source: qep'a' 30, Toki Pona: The Language of Good

From the Lithuanian *Lietuva*) (Vilnius, 12/27/2022)
Cff. http://klingon.wiki/En/Vilnius

(MO, US embassy in Vilnius, 12/27/2022):  When I came here, I had to make up a word for Lithuania, because there is no official Klingon way to say that just yet. But there is now, and it's {lIyetu'va}.

  Hop lIyetu'pu'vaD [sic] lop qImroq lutIvjaj.
  May all Lithuanians enjoy the celebration season.
  (Vilnius, 12/2022)

(Lieven, 1/05/2023):  I got a message from Marc Okrand, who confirmed two things:  The spelling is {lIyetu'va'} [and] he admitted that he misspoke in that final phrase.

(Lieven, http://klingon.wiki/En/Vilnius): “The final phrase is unclear. Being a toast, it has an unusual word order, but it does not make much sense as it is, apparently missing one or two words. Maybe Okrand made some mistakes here. A form that would make sense is this:
     Hopbogh lIyetu'va' nganpu' lop qImroq lutIvjaj
    "May the remote Lithuanians enjoy the celebration season."
         or
     Hopbogh lIyetu'va' nganpu'vaD: lop qImroq lutIvjaj
    "To the remote Lithuanians: May they enjoy the celebration season."

SEE ALSO:
latvIya  		Latvia (GN)
'eStIy  		Estonia (GN)
po'lISqa' 	Poland (GN)
'uqrayI'na 	Ukraine (GN)
raSya' 		Russia (GN)
 ‘ewrop  	Europe (GN)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey