[tlhIngan Hol] Apposition in the *paq'batlh*

Alan Anderson qunchuy at alcaco.net
Fri Oct 20 19:34:56 PDT 2023

On Fri, Oct 20, 2023 at 9:31 PM Will Martin via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Honestly, if I just saw the Klingon {qatlh ngemDaq ghaHtaH molor Duy'e'
> marqagh puqloD’e’}, I’d definitely interpret that the apposition is that
> one person is being addressed, and that one person is both the envoy of
> Molar and son of Markag.

Yes, I think that's what most people would expect it to mean. It's pretty
clear in the Klingon that the son and the envoy are grammatically the same
entity. But it's also just as clear in Trek lore that Markag's son is Molor
himself. That mismatch is why Luis (and others) questioned the correctness
of the line.

The appropriate answer is probably "The line does not say the same thing in
Klingon and in English. The English is most likely right, and the Klingon
is most likely wrong."

-- ghunchu'wI'