[tlhIngan Hol] Apposition in the *paq'batlh*

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Fri Oct 20 18:30:53 PDT 2023

I don’t know the whole story of paq’batlh. I want to make sure that you are telling me that some other part of the story establishes that Molor is the son of Markag, right? Also, you are sure that Molar isn’t sending his brother as his envoy, right?

Some other context has told you that the envoy is not the son of Markag?

The English translation does not make that clear.

"What is an envoy of Molor,
Son of Markag, doing in these woods?"

That can mean either:

1. What is an envoy of [Molar, Son of Markag] doing in these woods?

2. What is [an envoy of Molar], [Son of Markag] doing in these woods?

Nothing in the English sentence tells us whether “Son of Markag” is in apposition with just “Molar” or “envoy of Molar.

Honestly, if I just saw the Klingon {qatlh ngemDaq ghaHtaH molor Duy'e' marqagh puqloD’e’}, I’d definitely interpret that the apposition is that one person is being addressed, and that one person is both the envoy of Molar and son of Markag. The choice to put {-‘e’} on both {Duy} and {puqloD} suggest heavily that they are of equal note in the question. You know it’s not two people because {ghaH} is singular, and if there were only one {-‘e’}, it would be something like “the son of Markag’s envoy’s Molar” or “Molar’s envoy’s Markag’s son."

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)