[tlhIngan Hol] stitch vs. sew

De'vID de.vid.jonpin at gmail.com
Sat Oct 14 14:53:41 PDT 2023

On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 7:31 AM Lieven L. Litaer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> Hello dear Klingonists,
>
> at the qepHom words wish list, somebody asked for a word for "to sew". I
> searched for that, and noticed that we have a verb {QIS} of which I
> thought it has that meaning, at least it does so in German.

For context, the request which resulted in {QIS} was worded as:
stitch (v): pass needle and thread through fabric in the process of sewing

The notes which accompanied the revealed word said: "The object is the
thing being sewn or stitched together."

This implies that {QIS} is used in Klingon to express the act of sewing,
namely by supplying the object (presumably plural, if two things are being
sewn together).

So I wondered: What is the difference between "stitch" and "sew", if
> there is any?

Yes. A stitch is a single turn or loop, the fundamental unit of movement in
the textile arts. One of these is sewing, which is the act of attaching
materials together with stitches. Another is {nIq} (weaving, knitting,
crocheting), in which the stitches of material (e.g., yarn) themselves make
up the final product. So someone who is sewing is making stitches, but
someone who is stitching is not necessarily sewing.

--
De'vID