[tlhIngan Hol] DIvI' Hol mu' vIpoQ

Will Martin lojmitti7wi7nuv at gmail.com
Thu Oct 12 04:09:28 PDT 2023

In American English, if it’s at the front of a car, protecting the radiator, it’s a “grill", not a “grate". I have no idea what they call it in England.

If it’s a thing that an HVAC system blows hot or cold air through, it’s a grate. Ditto for an older convection heating system with a furnace in the basement under a decorative metal piece strong enough to walk on, mounted on the floor with holes in the decorative pattern large enough for heat to rise up through, it’s a “grate”.

The sheet-metal kitchen tool with sharp blades along one edge of each hole in an array of holes, used to cut cheese or vegetables into small bits when you scrape them across in one direction, it’s a “grate”.

If it covers a window to stop people from escaping or breaking in to steal stuff, spaced wide enough to easily see through, but not wide enough to stick your head through, it’s called “bars”. If it’s at the edge of a balcony or stairway, it’s a “railing”.

If the bars run sideways between two rails, spaced for climbing, it’s a “ladder”.

And while it is a “grill” if it’s the thing food is cooked on for a barbecue, the stuff that gets cooked on it is called “great”.

pItlh

charghwI’ ‘utlh
(ghaH, ghaH, -Daj)