[tlhIngan Hol] qepHom 2023 new words: {mew'}

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon Nov 20 14:21:13 PST 2023

Is there any context for {mew'} "cope (with)"?  Perhaps cope emotionally?  IIRC Worf was having trouble coping with Jadzia's death while at the same time dealing with Ezri's presence on DS9.  (As a counselor no less!)

We already have the verbs {bam} “face, have the prospect of having to deal with”:

  Qob lIb bam SoH chuDlI' je
  You and your people are in danger. (STID)

 and {DIgh} “undertake, deal with":

  DaH nuq wIDIgh?
  What is our current task?
  (“What do we undertake now?”) (qep'a' 2016)

Also Okrand used "deal with" WRT using forks:

(st.k 5/05/1998):  The Klingon word for fork is {puq chonnaQ}. As is well known, Klingons prefer to get food into their mouths without the aid of implements (except for such things as the bowl containing soup or the goblet containing bloodwine). Nevertheless, they have become acquainted with the eating habits of other cultures and have become aware of such things as forks. On occasion, they'll even use the implements, most commonly when partaking of a non-Klingon meal (whether on a Klingon planet or elsewhere) but sometimes when eating Klingon food, as if to add an exotic touch to the meal experience. (Not all Klingons are skilled in using forks, however, and some simply refuse to deal with them. Those who do not use them seem to be not at all troubled by eating "foreign" food using Klingon means--that is, hands.) The term {puq chonnaQ} is, at least in origin, somewhat derisive. It literally means "child's hunting spear", suggesting that the eating implement is small and not very effective (though the actual child's spear, as opposed to the "fork," is useful for training in the art of hunting)." (st.k 5/05/98)

--
Voragh