[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: DIvI'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Mon May 1 08:04:07 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Monday, May 01, 2023

Klingon word: 	DIvI'
Part of speech: 	noun
Definition: 	federation, organization, [association, league, union]

Qo'noSDaq paw cha' DIvI' beq
Two Federation crewmen arrive on Kronos. PK

He chu' ghoS.  DIvI' neHmaH.
New course. Federation neutral zone. ST3

qa'vam jan SeH DIvI'.
[The Federation controls the Genesis Device.] (ST3 DVD case)

vaj toDDujDaj ngeHbej DIvI'
That means the Federation will be sending a rescue ship of its own. (ST5 notes)

 reH DIvI' Duj vISuv vIneH
I've always wanted to engage a Federation ship. (ST5 notes)

DIvI' Se' wI'IjtaHvIS DaH ngoqDe' wIHevta'
We've just received an encoded message on the Federation frequency. (ST5 notes)

tera' vatlh DIS poH cha'maH loS bong QongmeH qItI'nga' Duj tI'ang ghompu' DIvI' 'ejDo' 'entepray'
A sleeper ship of this [K'Tinga] class, the T'Ong, was encountered in the 24th century by the USS Enterprise. S15

DIvI' tamey ngo'
Federation Archives STC

jagh HIvrup SuvwI' Haqpa' DIvI' qeSwI'
The warrior was prepared to attack the enemy until the Federation advisor intervened [slang: "the implication is that the advice was unnecessary, counterproductive, or both." (KGT 151)]

SaS DIvI' HoD
The Federation captain is shallow.
 (slang: lit. "The Federation captain is horizontal"). KGT

jagh ghaH DIvI''e'
The Federation is the enemy. (ST6 notes, per Lieven 9/08/2018)

Qo'noS romuluS je boSuqlaH. vabDot tera' Qejbogh DIvI' ram boSuqlaH.
Kronos, Romulus and even the puny Federation's precious Earth, are all up for grabs. MKE

Dujey DIvI' Duj
Lose battle to Federation ship. MKE

DIvI' le'mISvo' bInargh.
Escape Federation blockade. MKE

Dumer DIvI' QaS 'ej DuHIv, vaj bIwunchoH 'ej bIrIQchoH
Surprise attack by Federation leaves you unprotected and damaged. MKE

DIvI' rojmab qep ghanglu' 'e' nIDlu', 'ach taH qep.
Despite efforts to halt them, peace talks with Federation continue. MKE

buqmeylIjDaq DIvI' De' pu'jInmey... [cut]... 'ach pu'jInmeylIj bIHbe'.
(Star Trek 2009; “The ‘[cut]’ indicates a lacuna where the camera angle changed. The deleted scene was apparently spliced from two different takes of the line.” [De’vID, 10/16/2019])

vay' mIpmoHbe' DIvI'vam, 'ej Hov leng qangtlhIn pabchu'.
This organization does not enrich anyone (financially), and it perfectly follows the ideology of Star Trek. (PCHC 2016)

Do'natu vaghDaq DIvI' wIlulpu' 'a qaStaHvIS poH veb mayonchoHchu'pu'.
We have become complacent in the time since we last battled the Federation at Donatu V. (DSC/Qov "Battle At the Binary Stars")

DIvI' 'aH qutlh nIHlu'bogh
Cheap stolen Federation goods (DSC "Will You Take My Hand?", sign in the Orion market on Kronos in pIqaD and Orion letters)

(HQ 4.4:11 "Groups"):  Some additional information has come to light regarding words relating to groups or assemblies. Among those words already well-known for different types of groups are:  {boq} alliance (also bloc or coalition, though coalition is sometimes {boq ru'}, literally "temporary alliance");  {DIvI'} federation or organization (also association, league, union);  {ghom} group or party (also band, in the nonmusical sense) … (also {ghom'a'}) crowd.  Add to this list: {tlhach} faction or sect.

(De'vID, 1/14/2018):  IIRC this came from a (deleted?) line in ST3 which matched Genesis Device in English to {jan SeH DIvI'} in Klingon.

SEE:
yuQjIjDIvI' 	The United Federation of Planets (TKD)

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey