[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: tangqa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Thu Mar 9 07:07:34 PST 2023

“KAHLESS” by Michael Jan Friedman  (New York:  Pocket Books, ©1996) and other editions.  From the blurb:

  “The first Klingon emperor, Kahless, has become a legend in the last 1500 years. A
    clone of him now holds title of emperor. He can trust no one except Capt. Jean-Luc
    Picard and Lt. Worf.”

Other words I know of from the novel are:

*s'tarahk* - an omnivorous riding animal.  This could be a variations of {Sargh}:  "A Klingon *sark} ({Sargh}) is an animal somewhat resembling a Terran horse, both in appearance and in that Klingons (generally individually) often ride on the animal's back." [KGT p.111].

*thranx* - a Klingon plant that flowers once every eight years.  This is spelled {tlheng'IQ} in the {'u'} libretto and paq’batlh.
Note that minn’hor, s’tarahk and thranx are not Okrand’s {tlhIngan Hol}, though he may have come up with “official” spellings after the fact – as he’s done for other fan and Paramount words.

--
Voragh