[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: baQa'

nIqolay Q niqolay0 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 23 09:36:42 PDT 2023

On Fri, Jun 23, 2023 at 10:41 AM Steven Boozer via tlhIngan-Hol <
tlhingan-hol at lists.kli.org> wrote:

> (qep’a’ 2019):  Often preceded or followed by general grumbling and
> growling; sometimes just grumbling and growling alone.

This information was given as a response to a request for "boo! hiss!,
However Klingons vocalize their displeasure when in a group" (the KLI word
list links here <https://www.kli.org/chabal-archive/boo-hiss/>), for which
we learned that *baQa'* is used for this purpose. boQwI' and the KLIwiki
both include "boo! hiss!" as glosses along with "general invective". (My
suspicion is that this is just a specific usage of a more general
invective, rather than the sole meaning of *baQa'*, but of course I'm not
MO.)