[tlhIngan Hol] Klingon Word of the Day: baQa'

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jun 23 07:40:35 PDT 2023

Klingon Word of the Day for Friday, June 23, 2023

Klingon word: baQa'
Part of speech: excl
Definition: (curse) general invective
Source: TKD:p178

(qep’a’ 2019):  Often preceded or followed by general grumbling and growling; sometimes just grumbling and growling alone.

(Mark Shoulson, HQ 3.1):  May indicate surprise (I've also interpreted this to indicate anger with oneself:  "{baQa'}, I screwed up!!"  N.B.  that in our two known examples, {baQa'} is the last word, just like {jay'}.

PUN:
Japanese *baka* "stupid, idiot"? (though it's very foul in Japanese)

TREK NOTES:
When Picard failed to convince Governor Vagh that the Federation wasn't supplying weapons to Kriosian rebels, Vagh shouted: "You speak the lies of a *tah-keck*!"  Picard calmly leaned forward and replied, "*Qu'vatlh guy'cha b'aka*!"  Vagh complimented him, saying: "You swear well, Picard.  You must have Klingon blood in your veins." (TNG "The Mind's Eye")

--
Voragh, Ca'Non Master of the Klingons
    Please contribute relevant vocabulary from recent qep’a’mey