[tlhIngan Hol] Pronouns and noun suffixes, prefix trick and *bID*

Lieven L. Litaer levinius at gmx.de
Fri Jan 13 22:51:00 PST 2023

Am 13.01.2023 um 16:51 schrieb Steven Boozer via tlhIngan-Hol:
> question 1.
> Okrand once communicated [...] that pronouns, being a subset of nouns, could indeed be used with stative verbs. Thus, {SoH po' law' jIH po' puS} is correct. (HQ 4.2:3)

Does that really answer the question? It was about suffixes, not stative
verbs.

> ... and we've seen some (though IIRC not all) noun suffixes used on pronouns:

Analysing these examples, I notice that ALL of them are Type 5 noun
suffixes, i.e. syntactic markers.

Then I tried if the others makes sense, and I think they do not. Maybe
only in a poetic situation, like {jIHHom} for "mini-me" or {SoHqoq} for
a weird copy of yourself.

At this point, I think the answer to question appears "usually only type
5 suffixes are used on pronouns"... But of course, there is no rule
forbidding using the others. They just don't make sense.

But I'd love to see proven otherwise!

--
Lieven L. Litaer
aka the "Klingon Teacher from Germany"