[tlhIngan Hol] Pronouns and noun suffixes, prefix trick and *bID*

Steven Boozer sboozer at uchicago.edu
Fri Jan 13 07:51:03 PST 2023

question 1.
Okrand once communicated privately with members of the Klingon Shakespeare Restoration Project that pronouns, being a subset of nouns, could indeed be used with stative verbs. Thus, {SoH po' law' jIH po' puS} is correct. (HQ 4.2:3)

... and we've seen some (though IIRC not all) noun suffixes used on pronouns:

DaH jIHvaD yIngev
   Sell it to me now! (PK)
SoHvaD 'uQ wej vIqem. Dargh vIqem je.
   I'll bring you dinner number three. I'll bring tea also. {CK)
SoHvaD pagh vIjatlh, Human.
   I have nothing to say to you, human. (ENT "Affliction")
SoHvaD quv vI'agh
   I will show you honor! (PB)
SoHvaD quvwI’ qem Hegh 'e' wIvDI’ Hegh pop Hevchugh quvwI’
   The honorable will be rewarded after death chooses to bring
   them to you (PB)
tlhIngan wo' yuQmey chovlu'chugh Qo'noS potlh law' Hoch potlh
puS.  roD 'oHvaD juHqo' ponglu' neH.
   The principal planet of the Klingon Empire, Qo'noS, is usually
   referred to as simply "The Homeworld." (S27)

HIja', 'ej jIHvo' nIHDI' jIbup.
   Yes, and when he stole from me I dumped (him). (STID)
chaq SoHvo' vay' vIje' vIneH
   [Maybe I'd like to buy something from you. (untranslated)] (PK)

ghobe'. jIHDaq Sum raS
   No. The table is near me. (HQ 12/1998)
SoHDaq Sum raS
   You are near the table. (HQ 12/1998)
SoHDaq qeylIS qa' yInjaj
   May the spirit of Kahless live within you! (PK)

Question 3.
AFAIK we only have one sentence and a handful of compound nouns or noun phrases:

cha' choQmey naQ tu'lu' 'ej tep choQ bIngDaq lo' law' bID choQ tu'lu'
   2 Full Decks and a Half Utility Deck under the Cargo Deck  (KBoP)

yopwaH bID 		shorts (i.e. pants) (n)
paH bID 		skirt (n)
DIr paH bID 		kilt-like garment (n)
moQbID 		dome  (n)
qubbID  		span, run, stretch (between) (n)

--
Voragh